Thursday, April 18, 2013
Grandma Moses
While I was updating the blog (at all hours of the night on March 27th and 28th), I was doing so while spending time with my dear Grandma Moses at Hospice of the Southwest.
My poor Grandma had been through so much since November 21st when a young man ran a stop sign and t-boned her car. She basically had to be on oxygen 100% of the time after that. She had to miss Thanksgiving and our birthdays because she didn't feel like getting out. Then, before Christmas, she developed pneumonia and spent Christmas in the hospital.
A lot happened between the hospital stay and her passing. She ended up having congestive heart failure and having to be readmitted to the hospital about a week after her original discharge. She then went to another rehab center. We got to visit her over Presidents Day Weekend. She looked great and Brec and Ashton had so much fun working puzzles with her. I hated saying goodbye but we had to get back to Allen for school.
She ended up going to another rehab center where she did really well. She went home for a weekend and that was a struggle for her. She ended up going to a final rehab center. Somehow, she feel out of bed during the night or early morning of March 25/26th. She broke her C2, her nose, and her left wrist. Her injuries were painful and she wasn't able to swallow.
She was moved to hospice (a 5 star hotel where they would make her comfortable) on March 27th. I flew into Amarillo as soon as I found out and stayed with her most of the time. She really wanted a steak for dinner and told me to hop to it. She didn't get her steak but she did get two containers of vanilla pudding and some cranberry/grape juice before she was made comfortable and went to sleep around 8:30 pm. My mom and I listened to her snore all night long. We expected she'd wake up sometime during the night and even kept the Inspiration Channel on all night long!
Unfortunately for us, she didn't wake back up. She passed peacefully at 2:30 pm with family by her side (I was holding her hand).
I will forever remember my sweet Grandma. I talked to her at least twice daily. She always called me whenever she saw my favorite singer, Josh Groban (or Josh Grogan as she called him), was on tv. I love you Moses!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This made me cry. So sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry about your grandmother, but so glad you were able to be there for her when she needed you and you were blessed with such a sweet relationship.
ReplyDelete