Thursday, June 28, 2012

Post Cruise--NYC Day 2--Morning

This morning we took it easy and didn't rush around.  We got ready and had breakfast at the New York Luncheonette next door to our hotel.  The food was good and wasn't too expensive.  The coffee could grow hair on your chest though--it was super strong.  But it helped wake me up.

After breakfast we stopped back by the hotel and then caught the subway to the American Museum of Natural History.  We had a tourist moment when we needed to change trains.  We got off at the correct place but couldn't cross over the track to get to the train going the right direction.  Thankfully a very nice employee helped us and we made it.  We arrived at the museum and entered right from the subway line.

We were met by the security guard that really welcomed us.  All the man did was yell about staying in the stanchions.  He was a real jerk!  That is the man below.  I could never get a picture of him from the front.


Oh well.  We paid and then headed upstairs to visit the dinosaurs first.  William's sciatica was acting up so we took the elevator to 4.  Another set of rude guards tried to kick people off the elevator who they thought could walk upstairs.  We didn't move and neither did anyone else.  Hee Hee Hee

The museum obviously had a lot of dinosaurs.  This is the T-Rex.


This is another carnivore attaching a poor herbivore.



The gigantic tail that spanned the room.


The T-Rex had Brec for lunch.




A cute Stegosaurus


A gigantic sea turtle


A very ugly fish!


Precursor to the elephant


After the dinosaurs we wandered through the rest of the museum.  We saw Mayan culture and some Indian artifacts.  I had no idea that the Mayans were into phallic worship.  I learned that the hard way.



I'm just glad the boys didn't realize what that pointy thing was.



After the cultural part of the museum we saw some nature.  This was a gigantic sequoia.


And this was a mosquito model built in the early 1900s to educate New Yorkers about malaria.


Brec loved learning about the ocean.  This was a life size blue whale.


Brec loves jellyfish and squid now as well.


The funniest thing was us finding my mom's twin.


I never got a front view shot because I didn't want to be that obvious but they could have been twins.

We finished touring the museum and William and Ashton went outside to find a lunch spot while Brec and I checked out the gift shop.  Brec originally wanted a jelly fish but fell in love with a squid.  The squid was $30 and I was afraid he might find something else he might want.  So we waited.  I ordered it for him on Amazon and was able to get a lego guy he wanted and then squid for the same price.  He learned the value of waiting when he got two things.  

Next stop...Lunch and Central Park.




No comments:

Post a Comment